In October 2018 the beautiful De Bosset, a stone bridge which spans the Koutavos Lagoon in Argostoli was officially certified the world’s longest (680m) stone bridge on a seawater body by the Official World Record. The bridge was constructed in 1813 by Colonel Charles Philip de Bosset (a Swiss engineer in the employ of the British army) when General Sir Charles James Napier was the Governor of Kefalonia.
The first construction was a wooden bridge named Drapano in the centre of Koutavos lagoon connecting the capital with the surrounding villages. Four years later stone arches were added and, after some 26 years, the entire bridge was rebuilt in stone.
During the earthquake of 1953 parts of the bridge lowered and despite backfilling and straightening the pavement this damage remains visible from the side today. In 1970, the bridge was listed as a historical monument.
The pedestrianised De Bosset Bridge has been recently renovated and offers a majestic sight for locals and visitors alike; take a stroll over it to admire its architecture, views of the surrounding area and the stone column (obelisk) which was built by the British to commemorate their stay.
For more details about the Official World Record click here.